Thursday, March 12, 2020

The Inspiration for "Neither Seen Nor Heard"

If you haven't read my short story, "Neither Seen nor Heard," I really hope you do.  It's a zombie horror story populated with realistic and vulnerable characters. 

Photo by Chris Light / CC BY-SA (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0)


A few months ago, I had the opportunity to attend a weekly Veterans' Breakfast with my elderly father.  The humble diner was filled with men who had served our country in all the branches of the U.S. Armed Forces.  There were sailors, marines, pilots, and soldiers.  They spanned many eras of military service.  As a sailor in the early 1960s, my dad saw the whole world and visited exotic lands.  Others in attendance had great adventures.  Some had been genuine heroes in combat.  All had given some of their best years to the military.

As I watched my own father grapple with loss and the indignities of old age, I was inspired by the stories of these veterans.  I wondered how men like these aging heroes might survive in the sort of zombie apocalypse I write about in my book and my short stories.  How would society's most vulnerable people--the elderly and the very young--do in a world filled with zombies?       

Not many readers have read "Neither Seen nor Heard" and that's a shame.  Some of the readers who have checked it out so far have left great reviews.

Reviewed in the United States on February 10, 2020
Format: Kindle EditionVerified Purchase
I was pleasantly surprised by this story. As the author does, these aren’t supermen, just regular people trying to survive. Heck the great grandpa can barely see, and has arthritis. It makes for a very realistic portrayal, and helps build suspense. I highly recommend this, as well as Zombie Complex!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Zombie Cinquain Poem: The Quiet

No planes No trains or trucks No cars or highway roar Just the still of night, moans, screams, and gunshots! For you writers and poets out t...